Originally Posted by Turnbull
THE HUNGER (1983)

Hoodlum's post of a few days ago stimulated me to write a review:

Miriam Blalock (Catherine Deneuve), a 3,000 year-old Egyptian vampire, lives in a lavish, sculpture-filled NYC mansion with her latest husband, John (David Bowie in an excellent performance). She promised him "eternal youth," but he suddenly feels himself ageing by the minute. He barges in on a clinic researching premature ageing and ageing reversal, headed by Dr. Sara Roberts (Susan Sarandon), who dismisses him as a crank. He goes back to the mansion, dies, and Miriam puts him in a box alongside her other "eternally young" previous husbands. Looking for him, Roberts rings the doorbell of the mansion, and Miriam immediately attracts her, leading to a steamy bedroom encounter and their becoming blood sisters. It all comes crashing down at the end.

This movie is all style and no substance--but what style, especially Deneuve. She's not only just as beautiful as she was in "Belle de Jour" 16 years later, she's drop-dead elegant. I watched it twice just to see her again. The gauzy. smoky scenes add a brooding quality that fits. Most of the rest doesn.t.

Exactly my thoughts 2 Turnbull...Thanx 4 your expert newspaper like review..u should start a nite career as a full fledged critic..seriously.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...