THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER

The first star in the MCU to outlast a trilogy, THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER returns Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), and Korg (also writer/director Taika Waititi). Originally, I was against this film as I felt a 4th entry was going back to the well one too many times and they were attempting to capitalize on the success of RAGNAROK. And in a lot of ways, it does and doesn't live up to the prior film in those regards; however, I was wrong about being against the film being made as the story is a powerful one to be told and reintroduces Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) to the franchise. Having not been seen in the MCU in 9 years since THOR: THE DARK WORLD, the story follows Foster who's been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Left with few options, she seeks out Mjölnir in an attempt to save her as she reads over an old viking book stating the person who wields the hammer with gain great health. Thor meanwhile is still hanging with the Guardians of the Galaxy until they split off to assist those in need (Thor being called to track down Gorr the god Butcher, who's attacked Sif). During a fight in New Asgard, Jane and Thor's paths cross and the rest of the film is them attempting to reestablish their relationship, with simultaneously rescuing the children of New Asgard who have been taken hostage by Gorr. Once again, the film tries to recreate the same magic of RAGNAROK but is nowhere near as funny even though it struggles to be. And Thor once again is more of a "rock star" as many rock and a few choice Guns 'N Roses songs give the audience tunes to bounce to throughout. The real star here is Christian Bale as he is downright terrifying at times in full costume and in character. He's a man who's in pain due to an earlier loss he continues to carry with him and as such, has made it his mission to kill gods with his Necrosword. My second favorite aspect of the film is Russell Crowe's interpretation of Zeus. Loved his accent, his mannerisms, and the energy he brought to the role. Another satisfying entry into the MCU that'll make plenty of dollars at the box office and second best Thor film of the franchise behind RAGNAROK. 7/10