SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2

Sonic is back but he's not alone as fan favorites Knuckles and Tails join him in this next installment of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. Picking up less than a year after the events of the original, Dr. Robotnik is banished to the mushroom planet across our galaxy. Attempting to get back home, Knuckles stumbles upon him and offers his assistance as they're both after Sonic for their own reasons. Meanwhile, Sonic is settling in with his new family Tom (James Marsden) and Maddie Wachowski (Tika Sumpter). During a mid-credit scene during the original film, Tails is introduced, seeking out Sonic to warn him of Knuckles and Robotnik's impending arrival. Before long, Sonic and Tails are teaming up to stop Knuckles and Robotnik from getting their hands on an all powerful emerald that grants the possessor unlimited powers (think of Thanos and the infinity stones). Honestly, I wasn't much of a fan of the original and this was somehow even worse. I passed on seeing this in the theaters so took a chance now that it's available via streaming. I played the video game as a child and as much as I'd like to see this franchise succeed, it just hasn't done it for me. The visual effects are wonderful and at times, bold and beautiful. However, a lot of the jokes here feel forced and fall flat. The only two bright spots are Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik as he's his usual quirky, over-the-top, childish villain. The other is Idris Elba whose suave voice work brings depth and at times, humor to his super strong hedgehog Knuckles. The film made bank at the box office so I know a third movie will be made. And even though I'm not excited for it, I'm sure I'll see it at some point. 4/10