CARMINE AND THE 13th AVENUE BOYS: Surviving Brooklyn's Colombo Mob
https://www.amazon.com/CARMINE-13th-AVENUE-BOYS-Surviving/dp/1957288108

For the genre it's 4/5 stars; and for research, narrative, etc. its 4.5-5/5. It's one of the few organized crime, true crime, reads that I'll tolerate where the back-stories - neighborhood, demographics, etc. - represent a large proportion of the effort. But in this case, they are so well-crafted from Carmine's recollection and retold by the author so as to be compelling. I could feel being transported there via a historical virtual reality metaverse. I can write the same of the latter section of the story; this in the Midwest and without the support of the crime narrative. Again here, Carmine and the author had me compelled through his experiences surviving - tales of Carmine leveraging his street-survival skills - and thriving personally and professionally. This book is 4 of 5 stars and not 5/5 (for the genre) as much of what is anticipated via a lived experience - murder plots, brutal violence - is short of the "linguine and bullets" eyewitness account expected of mobophile readers. Overall, very well done for a genre that has gone from solid first-hand accounts to ship-shod poorly written 3rd person accounts.