1) Phily- Bruno era

2) Tie...Trafficante/Marcello. Two southern families with like 10 members each with so much power and influence over private sector, government and unions. May have orchestrated Kennedy assassination.

3) Even though they wouldn't rank high in regard to power and influence nation wide, I'm going to throw this one in there for discussion. The Smaldone era in Denver. Ran a very lucrative gambling operation in Denver and I believe Pueblo for decades. Came off as legit businesspeople. Well liked. Stuck mostly to vice rackets that police turned the other cheek from.

If Frank Sheeran were telling the truth about Buffalino, I'd have him at #1, but historical facts tend to refute a lot of his claims. The movie's implication that he called the shots on the Anastasia hit was pretty laughable, too. Although it was a great scene with great music. Scorsese at his finest.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea