[/quote]

I think Santo Trafficante Jr. was the true inspiration for Michael Corleone rather than Bill Bonanno. Also, did Big Paulie Castellano have any interaction with the Bonanno family pre-1964? If so, in what rackets and with whom?
[/quote]

I haven't been able to truely find anything that would tie them business wise. Castellano is really well documented as a boss but his earlier days are not as public. I would say Castellano was just another soldier (although he was a earner due to family connections early on) until the mid 50s when Gambino succedes Frank Scalise as the Head of the Palermantani. Paul became Capo around 1956. I do know that during the aftermath of the Anastasia hit, one of Paul's meat Factories was a meeting at least once. I'd have to image that they had peripheral dealings at best. Paul was in Brooklyn before operating in Staten Island so he definitely knew some people. The FBN named Carmine Galante as an associate in his file in 1961.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano