UNCHARTED

Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg bring this video game adaptation to life about treasure hunter Victor Sullivan (Wahlberg), recruiting young and wise beyond his years, Nathan Drake (Holland) to find a 500-year-old lost treasure. The circumstances of their meeting and subsequent partnership is rushed and thin on the surface as Drake is a bartender/petty thief in New York City, while Sullivan calls him out on his thievery and recruits him. This does play out later in the film as Holland does question his decision to join forces with Sullivan but at that point, he's in too deep and has invested too much to turn back now. A passable action film that doesn't do much for me outside of 2 great aerial action scenes. Other than that, it's a lot of double crossing and don't trust anyone. I know Columbia/Sony are hoping this can jump start a franchise and they've left plenty of room for a sequel/trilogy (with the addition of a mid-credits scene) to further their cause; but after this introduction, I'm less than sold on future adventures with Drake and Sullivan. Holland is awesome and likeable as Drake but this is one of the few roles where Wahlberg comes off as a villain in every sense of the word. The box office will ultimately be the deciding factor but if I had a vote, I'm not sold on further dips into this pool. One final note as I feel it needs to be mentioned: I don't typically comment on hair and makeup but Tati Gabrielle's, who's beautiful by the way and plays villain Braddock, is so distractingly bad that is must be called out. How anyone looked at her and thought she looked fine before going in front of a camera should not be in charge of those types of decisions going forward. 6/10