Originally Posted by Lana

However...
  • what about Kay? and their children?,
  • I can't see Kay and the kids hiding out! in the Sicilian countryside, with Michael which would be even more dangerous as wella
  • and the WASP! drawing even more attention
  • would Michael just disappear leaving his wife and kids not knowing when he would be back?
  • would Sonny be able to “square it” with Kay after Michael's AWOL same as with Mama Corleoneeance
  • I doubt Kay gonna come along with Michael in these things he has to do -- or what and more likely takes the children and moves them all to New Hampshire!

All of this is speculative, Lana, which is what makes your original question so interesting. smile

All I can say is that, IMO, the hospital drama unlocked the inner Corleone in Michael, meaning (to me) that the Sicilian Mafia fixation on "honor" and "vengeance" dwelled within Michael, and it doesn't necessarily follow a logical path. Although Michael wasn't married to Kay at that point, and had no children, he clearly loved Kay and was planning to marry her (according to the novel) soon, But, he abandoned her to protect his father and for vengeance.

In the novel, Vito says (several times) that 'A man has but one destiny:" I believe Michael's destiny was to be a criminal--successor to Vito. I can't justify my viewpoint beond that.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.