Originally Posted by alicecooper
So it's based on an NYC crew, not that jersey crew...Vinnie ocean wasn't it?

I think season 1 had to have been based on the DeCavs, especially with Jackie dying of cancer and the power struggle to replace him. That was just about a reenactment of the DeCavs in the 90's. But David Chase said they're based on the Boiardos. I think he meant overall, as to the style of crew they were. There were a lot of writers on this show and who knows what kinds of consultants were hanging around to give them pointers. I know there was also some article around the time the show came out where these cops that cover both north and south Jersey were identifying Jersey and Phily mobsters that most resembled the characters in the show and one said that Tony had to have been based on Michael Tacetta because he was the only mobster around that time that made his way around Jersey with the kind of boisterous swagger Tony did.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea