Originally Posted by NYMafia
Thats not true about Bonanno that you say "who was he." Besides being a boss, he was "The" boss of one of the largest families in America. He also represented more than a few smaller families throughout the U.S. before the Commission for years.

I think we're in a quantity vs. quality debate here.

What power did he have over the major unions and high end rackets? Did anyone have to go through Bonanno to build, the way Mr. Donald *allegedly* went through Fat Tony and Big Paul to build in Manhattan in the 80s? I know this was past Bonanno's time but in his time, was he ever a power broker on this level? Costello and Anastasia certainly were. Gambino and Lucchese certainly were. I'm sure Bonanno made a lot of money on vice rackets but these weren't the more lucrative rackets during this golden era for the American mob.

Not to mention he was a major power in Canada, and the Trapani Province of Sicily as well. He was a HIGHLY revered mafioso to say the least!

Can't argue with this. I haven't read much about Canada other than that Bonanno was a major player there and the mob in Canada is still highly active.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea