SCREAM (2022)

I'll begin by saying the SCREAM franchise is very near and dear to my heart. The original is in my top ten favorite movies of all-time and changed the way I thought about films. Yet another entry into the franchise, I was hesitant going in for many reasons: would any of the original characters be killed off? Wes Craven has since passed so is this just a cash grab? Has the franchise run its course? And after viewing this film, I did pleasantly enjoy the many nuances hearkening back to the original as many scenes are duplicated and rehashed. Attempting to "pass the torch to a new generation" I'm split on this. The film was good but not great. Should it have been made? Probably not. But does it take away from the franchise? I don't think it does. As such a rabid fan of the franchise, I thought it was fine as a trilogy but here we are 2 additional sequels later and I think this should be the last one. My biggest grip with the film (other than resurrecting the franchise after another decade in isolation) was the killer(s) motive. I felt it was too thin and weak. Usually that's the hook and here, it disappointed rather than surprised. I was excited going in to this but for other Scream fans on the fence, I think you can wait on your viewing. Doesn't need to be seen in theaters. My rating is a little more generous for my absolute love of the franchise. 7/10