MATCH POINT (2005)

I caught this on a whim when it was initially released on DVD back in the day and decided to watch it again. I enjoyed it quite a bit the first time around and this viewing, after over 10 years didn't disappoint either. Whatever your feelings about Woody Allen are, this is an enjoyable film if you can table those thoughts. The film stars Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Chris Wilton, a former pro-tennis player who's grown tired of traveling the tennis tour and wants to settle down in London. He soon meets Tom Hewett (Matthew Goode), one of his students and they soon hit it off due to their love of tennis and opera. While their friendship grows, Chris meets Tom's sister Chloe (Emily Mortimer) and the 2 quickly become romantically involved. Tom meanwhile is engaged to Nola Rice (Scarlett Johansson), whom, Chris is absolutely smitten with once the 2 are introduced. Chris and Nola share a bit in common: both grew up struggling financially and are foreigners in England (Chris hailing from Ireland and Nola from America). However, once Chris settles down with Chloe and is given a job that pays handsomely by her father, he quickly adopts to a certain lifestyle. Although, wanting his cake and eating it too, he still lusts after Nola and engages in an extra martial affair that has dire consequences for the both of them. A hidden gem that I still believe holds up and while I haven't viewed enough of Allen's work to definitely say I'm a fan of his, this has always been an enjoyable ride and I encourage you to seek it out, given the opportunity. 7.5/10