DON'T LOOK UP

Jennifer Lawrence plays PhD student Kate Dibiasky, who notices a comet hurtling towards Earth. At first fascinated by this discovery, she quickly shares her findings with her professor Dr. Randall Mindy, played by Leonardo DiCaprio. Once they conclude their calculations, they're horrified to discover the comet will obliterate mankind in 6 months. In an attempt to prepare for the event, Dr. Mindy and Kate meet with President Trump, I mean President Orlean (Meryl Streep), who's a caricature of the former President along with her son Jason (Jonah Hill). Not being taken seriously by the President, Dr. Mindy and Kate begin making the media rounds to notify the world of the situation. Both are passionate about warning the world and incredibly frustrated by not being taken seriously by anyone. As a result, Kate is painted as a lunatic, loses her credibility, and winds up working at a grocery store; whereas Dr. Mindy buys in on his new found popularity while selling out the planet. A satire involving social media, politics, capitalism, and science that feels extremely similar to a satire of the Trump administration and COVID-19 rather than a comet hitting earth. I typically like Adam McKay but this is a miss for him. Outside of the strenuous relationship between Jason and Kate, there aren't many laughs here and if a comedy doesn't have many laughs, it becomes quite dull. Not to mention not being invested in the film within the first 20 minutes, makes for a long payoff that doesn't do just that. Even with the opportunity of viewing this on Netflix I would still advise you not to waste your time on this. 4/10