Originally Posted by Mamaluke
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Originally Posted by Mamaluke
I have to respectfully disagree with that. Mark my words; Cosa Nostra is going to have a big resurgence in the next 10-15 years. It may be the biggest time for organized crime since prohibition. Like the prohibition era, there are going to be alot of non-mafia gangs and factions to compete with.

I dont know how well Cosa Nostra will compete this time around, its a different dynamic but they say a rising tide lifts all boats so its very likely that you will see Cosa Nostra grow in numbers, wealth, and power.

What do you base your hypothesis on?

I base my hypothesis on world events and the direction I see things going. Without going too much into politics I would suggest a look into the sociopolitical conditions that prompted the formation of cosa nostra [ and similar groups ], and compare that to the direction we are headed. I see a nearly identical pattern.

I strongly suspect we will see a demand for black markets due to increased prohibitions, rationing, and mandates. Where there is a demand, it will be met by the market. LCN is, essentially, a market driven phenomenon. Where government creates restrictions that contradict market demand, that demand doesnt just 'go away'. It goes around the government and black markets are created which are inevitably organized and controlled by groups which operate outside the law. LCN and most other organized crime groups are, essentially, an outgrowth of the will of the people where that will is stifled by a government leadership which does not reflect it.

Prohibition is a perfect example of that, and so is the iron handed totalitarian regimes in communist Russia which gave birth to a black market economy and the Russian mob. The same is going to happen here. Cosa Nostra will find itself needed again, only this time you may see guys being prosecuted for smuggling hams and bread, instead of heroine and hookers.

In that regard, I completely agree with you. "where there is a will, there is a way" as the old saying goes. But Cosa Nostra will never be what it was, or exhibit the awesome power it did back before LE was sophisticated to it and technology allowed for better protection. There will always be organized crime, and I suspect the Italian element of OC in a reduced form will continue on. But IMO it will be very different than in decades past.

Circumstances just don't allow for a flourishing of Cosa Nostra anymore. It's a much different world.