These different, interesting and varied takes, are what keeps this, what a nice board! still going decade after decade indeed

Fair points Woltz but the confusing discrepancies for me are -

Roth already had the Havana business So Michael is the one who “wouldn't want to jeopardize their [Roth-Michael] deal” because there was so much money at stake for Michael not Roth which I believe Roth knew as well Hence Roth's play on Michael's greed

Pentangeli always! knew never to trust Hyman Roth, Michael to never give his loyalty to Roth before his own blood indeed
Whilst Michael may have looked sheepish that's exactly what Michael did! because he didn't want his important business with Hyman Roth disturbed ie: greed blinded him even if it did “strike the ever-paranoid Michael as odd Roth backing up the Rosato brothers

It seems to me Michael's failure was “believing that Roth thought of him as a son” but you are right, Michael was not expecting any “push back” from Roth because I believe, among others -
  • Roth has anointed Michael as his heir apparent! to Roth's Havana business And all it takes to cement this father-son alliance /succession, is an introduction to the Cuban President and a gift of $2 Million
  • Roth will go along with Michael moving Klingman out – I doubt it even occurred to Michael as to why Roth and other partners would just let Michael take over their Hotel and be okay with it? [This is different to Greene's because the Corleones bankrolled that Hotel]