ANTLERS

Set in Oregon, Antlers tells the story of elementary school teacher Julia (Keri Russell) and her sheriff brother Paul (Jesse Plemons). Julia becomes concerned when one of her students, Lucas Weaver (Jeremy T. Thomas) is showing signs of abuse. His clothes are raggedy and have multiple holes in them. He's extremely quiet and is bullied by some of his classmates. Julia takes it upon herself to befriend her young student, as she grew up in an abusive household herself. As she gets to learn more about Lucas, she also comes to discovery they both have something else in common: they were both young when their mothers died so Lucas and his brother are being raised by his father, who's dealing drugs and has an extensive history with the local police. But, an ancient being is roaming the area, feeding off individuals and Lucas seems to be the key in determining how to stop it. The trailer doesn't show much and not a lot is explained about the film and after viewing it, I can see why. It's a far fetched theory that unless you buy into it, you're not going to enjoy it otherwise. I didn't buy into it so you know how my experience went. A rather limp explanation is giving about this mythical creature and not much else. As such, you don't invest too much into the creature, the characters, or the story. I was quite disappointed by this and it seemed to have some promise based upon the trailers. Pass if you come across it or are considering watching it. 4/10