Originally Posted by Evita
Originally Posted by The Last Woltz
Originally Posted by lucab19
I started a thread about Roth's plan and how stupid/unnecessary it was. All he had to do was bide his time for a couple of weeks, have Michael killed in Cuba, use his connections to the Bautista regime to blame it on Castro and his rebels and he wins.

Maybe, but I think it was more like a few months. That's a long time to wait. A lot could have happened in that time, such as Michael figuring out that Roth is his enemy (actually, I think Michael already knew, but didn't expect such an aggressive move from Roth), Michael making further inroads in Roth's Nevada holdings, Fredo slipping up and revealing something, etc.

If there was no Tahoe shooting and Michael was to be killed in Havana, there would have been no need to recruit Fredo or backing up the Rosatos

I am not sure Michael was figuring out that Roth He acts like I'm his son -- his successor is his enemy until after the Tahoe shooting I reckon that's where Roth was slippin'

Michael would have turned up completely relaxed and confident, in their friendship and be a sitting duck
However it still could have certainly raised significant suspicions that Michael was the only one who died
My take, for what it is worth!

I doubt Michael was “figuring out that Roth is his enemy” Michael seemed to have been completely taken in! by Roth even after the Tahoe shooting Michael initially believed it was someone inside telling Tom
They [Tahoe assassins] are dead already, killed by somebody close to us inside
ie: It seems Roth was not even suspected

Roth had Michael, pretty much in the palm of his hand!
I believe where the incredibly resourceful and astute Roth erred in his meticulous preparation is his overthinking and the recurring, people overestimating themselves and underestimating their opponents instead of KISS!! thus showing his hand
Also hiring assassins who couldn't shoot fish in a barrel!

Michael was lapping up! everything Roth was spinning in his web of deceit until the Tahoe shooting
We see how Michael was disgusted with himself that he hadn't seen through Roth's deceit when having drinks with Fredo in Havana

Roth would have quietly taken back! whatever Nevada holdings Roth 'lost' to Michael and continued to live like our average neighbour, harmless old man, retired investor on a pension!