DUNE

I've never seen the original movie or read the novel so I went into this completely fresh and I'm glad I did. A captivating sci-fi story that mixes politics, eye popping technology, gorgeous visual FX, and a rock solid cast.Timothée Chalamet plays Paul Atreides, the son of Duke Leto Atreides, played by Oscar Isaac. The Atreides are a powerful family within the galaxy and as such, the emperor has given them the planet of Arrakis, a dessert planet that's home to the most precious commodity in the galaxy: spice. However, Arrakis is already being ruled and plundered by the Harkonnen family, thus making the two families enemies when the emperor takes it away from the Harkonnen's to gift to the Atreides. The Fremen or natives on Arrakis live underground, is home to dangerous sand worms, and is so hot that without the proper equipment and water, people die rather quickly. The Harkonnen's ravaged the planet for its resources and paid no attention to the Fremen; however, now with the Atreides in power, they wish to make peace with the them. Very impressive performances all around, especially in regards to the mother/son duo of Chalamet, who is very mature for a 26-year-old actor and Rebecca Ferguson. I hope this does well in the theaters and HBO Max as I'd love to see the next installment and continue on this story's journey. Definitely worth your time to check it out. 7/10