I was a bit disappointed in this movie. I was very excited and I think there were some good things in it, I thought it could have been WAY better. Some quick thoughts:

1. It seemed like two movies. The riot/black gangster angle and the actuallly Dickie. Literally almost an hour dedicated to each.
2. Where was the mentorship? I saw literally nothing where Tony might have gleaned anything from Dickie. Stealing an ice cream truck and a weak numbers operation in grade school is not mentorship.
3. Missed opportunity of making Dickie a larger than life character. We love mythic heroes and villains. Dickie seemed very regular to me. Just saying he was an associate that brought in more"scharol" than any made guy doesn't do it. We need to see it. Where is his empire making? Why did they not show him go up to New England and single handedly take out the crew up there? Missed opportunities to make hime the anti-hero that Tony Soprano came.
4. Where was his additction? That would have provided more character development for Dickie. Two scenes of him nipping a vodka pint ai'nt enough. He was supposed to be like Christopher with this addictions.
5. The guy who shot him - was he the cop that Tony said to Christopher in The Sopranos? If so, we needed to see him at least once. Not a fan of "why" he was shot either. If it was a jealousy thing, that needed to be fleshed out more.

Ultimately, to me the movie was missed opportunity. It would have been bettter to focus on Dickie Moltisanti and his relationship with Tony. We didn't need to see all the characters in their younger years. It ate up too much time for no payoff.