DEcided to give Dan Dan Noodles a try. Sichuan style, not Hong Kong style, which comes out more like a soup. After a lot of research, I ended up using Chef Wang Gang's YouTube recipe and another channel called Souped Up Recipes. Luckily, there are a number of Asian markets in my neighborhood so I could procure the proper ingredients.

Good Lord, that was spicy!!!! I think I'll have to cut the chili oil a bit if I make it again. And I will most likely make it again because it was really good, despite the heat. And I'm talking about the heat on the way in - I'll leave you to figure out the rest...

Here is a photo. Since you put the chili oil/sesame paste mixture on the bottom before the noodles, then add the other ingredients (ground pork, Chinese preserved mustard greens, scallions, bok choi, crushed peanuts, and the like) on top before mixing everything together, the noodles really aren't visible in the picture. But, take my word for it, it was really memorable.

Way too hot for Signora V., so she decided to pass. Perhaps with a bit less heat...

Signor V.

Attached Files DanDan Noodles_1.jpg

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."