THE EYES OF TAMMY FAYE

Jessica Chastain and Andrew Garfield play former TV evangelists Tammy Faye Bakker and Jim Bakker. The story tells the rise and fall of this Minnesota couple who, in an attempt to spread the word of God, succumbed to the desires of this world. Desires that tested their love, their marriage, and their faith. A lot has been said about Chastain's role as Tammy Faye and while I agree an Academy Award nomination could and probably should be in the cards for her, I'm not sure she did enough to bring it home (we'll have to see who her competition is). Garfield doesn't get talked about enough as he's equally mesmerizing as the sleazy, con-artist, looking to enrich himself through his parishioners donations, rather than give the money for its intended charities. However, while Tammy Faye is the Betty Boop voiced, obedient wife, she too is just as culpable as Jim in their transgressions. I appreciate the fact that director Michael Showalter kept his focus throughout and didn't make this a hit/anti-religion piece. 6/10