THE POWER OF THE DOG

Brothers Phil (Benedict Cumberbatch) and George Burbank (Jessie Plemons) are wealthy ranchers in 1925 Montana. The film opens with them bringing cattle into town and settle themselves at an establishment run by a widow by the name of Rose (Kirsten Dunst) and her son Peter (Kodi Smit-McPhee). Phil and George couldn't be any different from each other. Where Phil is loud, aggressive, and rude, George is quiet, reserved, and well mannered. While dining after their journey into town, Phil continuously offends and bullies the fragile and delicate Peter. This leads George to not only settle the bill upon everyone's departure but also apologize to Rose for his brothers actions. The next day he visits Rose again and he continues to drive into town to see her until they're finally married. This does not go over well with Phil as Rose now moves into the house he shares with his brother George while Phil is sent away to medical school. A slow burn of a film that in some ways could act as a spiritual sequel to THERE WILL BE BLOOD; however, again they deal with cattle as opposed to oil. One of the finest performances I've ever seen from Cumberbatch and I'm fully aware of how bold a statement that is due to his very impressive body of work. This should at least garner him an Oscar nomination. Plemons and Dunst were equally as good and balance out a very strong cast, although for a period of time, Plemons does disappear from the story between acts 2 & 3. I cannot recommend this movie enough! 8/10