SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS

Like many of the Marvel audience who went into this film, I didn't know anything about this character outside of what the previews showed. However, upon viewing, consider me a Shang-Chi fan! This was a legitimate, straight up Marvel kung-fu movie the likes of which I'd never thought I'd see. Simu Liu stars as Shaun/Shang-Chi, a Chinese immigrant living an ordinary life in San Francisco, working as a valet with his best friend Katy (Awkwafina), until a gang of ruffians attack him on a bus in an attempt to steal a pendant he's wearing. The gang is successful in their attempt and as such, Shang-Chi travels to Macao in search of the pendant and his sister as she's next on the gang's hit list. Plenty of action throughout (especially early on in the film) and Awkwafina passably plays the bumbling sidekick. However, the film comes to a screeching halt when Michelle Yeoh's character is introduced and more backstory is given. A fantastic third act that I won't spoil for you save for spectacular CGI. A few cameo's throughout, especially one who winds up playing a prominent role upon his introduction. This was a very action packed, funny, and at times, touching film that hit on all the notes and I eagerly anticipate not only a second viewing, but a sequel! 8/10