THE PROTEGE

Maggie Q stars as Anna, an assassin who's on a trail of revenge after her mentor (Samuel L. Jackson), is unexpectedly killed. Being this is a Lionsgate release, I'm sure the studio is hoping for this to become another of their franchises but I don't see that happening. For an action film, there's very few action scenes peppered throughout. I'm quite surprised with the cast they were able to assemble with Jackson, Robert Patrick, and Michael Keaton. I'm sure the studio was banking on their star power to bring in audiences but once there, you're duped by an average story that's all over the place, a weak villain who's not Keaton by the way (although that's not what the trailers want you to believe), and no other performances by any of the main players are of any significance. A very disappointing showing from director Martin Campbell, who's previous work alone within the James Bond franchise, proves he's capable of so much more. This is the type of film you take a gamble on while trapped on a long flight with nothing else to do. 5/1