Originally Posted by JCrusher
Originally Posted by The Last Woltz
Obviously, Michael suffered great personal blows, but those were mostly self-inflicted.

It was his controlling, unsentimental personality that drove away Kay and Fredo. Roth's role was incidental
. Part was self inflicted but part of it was done by Roth. Remember Mike had some luck on his side as well. If not fir Kay he would have surely been shot in the assassination attempt. Also If Fredo did really want to turn on Mike he wouldn’t have told him about Questadt. So Mike certainly had some luck on his side and took advantage of it to finally beat Roth. But I still feel Roth left a huge mark on Mike
Whilst Michael's silhouette would have made a perfect target and from memory, Michael was seemingly standing at the window for quite some time too before Kay's "Michael Why are the drapes open?" the assassins still had Michael in the confined space of their bedroom with machine guns - shooting fish in a barrel - still couldn't hit their target!

Michael was slippin'
Originally Posted by Lana
I agree knowing about Questadt helped [not pivotal] confirm bringing Frankie's brother, Vincenzo over, was Ace!

Besides Fredo telling Michael about Questadt was painful to watch like pulling teeth as obviously "Fredo [still] did really want to turn on Mike"
Fredo: I haven't got a lot to say Mike I was kept pretty much in the dark I didn't know all that much [yeah right]
Michael: What about now Is there anything you can help me out with Anything you can tell me now
Fredo: They've got Pentangeli that's all I can tell you
After Fredo's outburst
Michael: Is there -- you can tell me about this investigation?
Fredo: The Senate Lawyer Questadt -- he belongs to Roth [finally]