FREE GUY

FREE GUY stars Ryan Reynolds, a NPC (non-player character), who is an AI and grows a conscience of his own. Upon finding his new found consciousness he meets and falls in love with Millie (played by Jodie Comer). Millie, along with Keys (Joe Keery), had previously developed a game they suspect Antoine (Taika Waititi) has stolen and rebranded as Free Guy. Millie enlists Guy's help to find evidence within the game to prove Antoine used their stolen code, availing them to millions of dollars through the proper litigation. For a Ryan Reynolds movie, the jokes were a mixed bag with some that stuck and others didn't (although it is slightly watered down to fit a PG-13 rating). This was my first introduction to Jodie Comer and for me, she honestly stole the show with a wide range of emotions. The film does display a lot of heartfelt emotions for a comedy and even the casual movie going fan can enjoy this while gamers should love it. I've seen Waititi in better roles as he appears aloof and mailed in his performance sadly as I expected more out of him. 6/10