Originally Posted by The Last Woltz
I disagree that the Immobiliare is some sort of pointless plot device.

Gilday himself lays out the reasons why Michael would want it: This deal with Immobiliare can make you one of the richest men in the world. Your whole past history, and the history of your family, will be washed away.

So, there's a financial impetus for it (and just because you're a billionaire doesn't mean you don't want more money; quite the opposite).

More importantly. Michael's whole life has been spent in a (hypocritical) pursuit of legitimacy. What could be more legit than a major partnership with the Vatican? The Archbishop shrewdly discerns Michael's longing for legitimacy and uses it against him in the negotiations.

The Immobiliare deal, and the accompanying situations are a natural progression from the first two films.
If my memory serves me right, Vatican Archbishop Gilday was going to swindle Michael – take Michael's money but no sale? of Immobiliare

Whilst I understand the business and financial impetus of the Immobiliare deal - making Michael one of the richest men in the world
  • if the Vatican 'sold' their stake, Michael already a sizable shareholder gets controlling interest ie: there is no partnership? Vatican is no longer involved with Immobiliare?
  • how would Michael's whole past history and the history of the Corleone family, will be washed away? by the Immobiliare deal
  • Michael's 'legitimate' gambling operation didn't fool! anyone

As regards Michael's (hypocritical) pursuit of legitimacy “even after he had achieved the semblance of legitimacy” Everybody undoubtedly knew who Michael really was – among others
1. Top Mafia Don
2. involvement with the underworld
3. Michael's nefarious power in New York
4. 'legitimate' gambling businessman in Nevada
5. connections with Las Vegas gambling

Could Michael have gone legit if....
Originally Posted by Evita
Michael's "legitimate" front was the Elephant in the room