My take, for what it is worth!

At the end of the day, the buck stops with Vito, the Don whether the Consigliere is Genco or Tom

I don't think the underlinks, the made guys in Vito's crime family would have cared that Tom was made Consigliere [unlike perhaps when the Don's 'inexperienced' son Mikey took over the Donship] because they were all in the muscle-end which is considered the prestigious and vital arm! of the whole operation

Sollozzo told Tom like Tom was small potatoes!
I know you are not in the muscle-end of the family Tom so I don't want you to be scared

However Sollozzo thought enough of Tom expecting Tom to make peace and make the narcotics deal

Sonny did take Tom's counsel -
  • Sonny agreed to wait until Michael piped up “killing Pop is the key” and offered to kill both McCluskey and Sollozzo
  • after Sonny's “Pop had Genco look what I got” Sonny apologised to Tom and did not go after Tattaglia

Michael removed Tom as Consigliere as Vito himself said because of Vito's advice

“When Michael technically makes him [Tom] Acting Boss, it's really only Acting Boss of the legitimate Nevada wing of the Family” complete power over Fredo and his men [what men?!] Rocco, Neri everyone in Nevada because that was all what was required
Also “who else was available?” same conundrum! as Vito's Consigliere candidates

Besides the crime family was still being run by Pentangeli at that time “as Street Boss of NY”