I read that too, Fleming Ave. Interesting history. All about money I suppose, one way or another.

I don't want to beat on The Sopranos thing because it's obviously a fictional tv show, but there was a scene where Tony and Silvio are arguing about NY and Sil tells Tony he has a problem with authority. This is an interesting remark, considering Tony is a boss, and nobody should have authority over him. The Commission approves bosses and newly made members but doesn't tell bosses how to run their family. On paper, at least. So it would seem Sil is telling Tony, "look, we work for NY, that's that."

Also on The Sopranos, Junior makes an interesting remark about Profaci splitting his enemies. Profaci played a role in splitting up the Newark family. Anyhow, again, a fictional tv show but the writers at least did a little homework on Jersey's relationship with New York, even if they made Tony way too powerful of a Jersey boss. I'm guessing most of his power and swagger was based on the Genovese Jersey faction. Sopranos ran Port Newark on the show, after all.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea