NO SUDDEN MOVE

Detroit, 1954 is our setting for this thrilling heist movie featuring a well-rounded, All-Star cast. Recently released from prison Curt Goynes (Don Cheadle) is quickly given a vague assignment to "babysit" Matt Wertz's (David Harbour's) family as he breaks into his bosses safe to steal a proprietary document. Unbeknownst to him, he will not be alone on this job as he's forced to work with Ronald Russo (Benecio Del Toro) and Charley (Kieran Culkin). However, they quickly learn they've all been set up and they must figure out by whom and why to stay alive. Once again, a wonderful cast brings this story to life from mafioso Ray Liotta, to housewife Julia Fox, to even crime boss Bill Duke, who seems rather fragile in this film unfortunately. Cheadle and Del Toro are the main stars who beautifully weave together distrust and survival within their characters. However, I must say this is probably one of the best performances I've seen from Cheadle as the hoarse voiced ex-convict, looking to make a quick score to begin a new life. Authentic set pieces such as many different cars that are featured throughout, a story that keeps you engaged and continues to flip the script on the audience during the final act. This may be a sleeper at the box since it was also released same day on HBO Max, but this was a lot of fun and I'd even be up for a second viewing sooner rather than later. 7/10