Originally Posted by NYMafia
It was allegedly the Mafia/Black Hand powers that be there. As Vacari said, there was a competition for control of the wharf/docks. And although Hennessy was a top cop, he was allegedly sympathetic to one side over the other. So history would have us believe he was at least a biased, if not a dirty cop. And he paid with his life.

Hennessy knew the Matrangas well and had problems with them, Tony and Salvatore especially when he was a young detective. Giuseppe Esposito had connections to Sicily, New York City, New Orleans, Tampa, and New Jersey. New Orleans while Hennessy was following up leads to Esposito, him and Tony Matranga are said to have come to blows, and was the start of animosity between the parties. Hennessy busted his ass while an officer, not much data on why he let some of the criminals go, but what is know about the other he let go were they were BS callers, and not strong evidence. I see no signs of corruption on Hennessy part. He was arrested for killing New Orleans Chief of Detectives Thomas Devereaux, but was found not guilty do to self defense. There is some evidence that Devereaux was corrupt and was on the Matranga payroll, he was known to have lunch with Charles Matranga occasionally. Hennessy left the force and went into a private firm in the city, and had minor interactions with the Matrangas until 1888 when he came back on the force as Chief and problems started over again for him and the Matrangas. The Matranga-Provenzano war, he was fair in handling of criminals, but I have to believe he was a little biased as he sure did put a target on Tony Matranga back.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green