Originally Posted by Mamaluke
Nah, maybe back in the 20's, 30's, and 40's... those wild west days of mob life were probably the best. By the 80's with the rico laws and the fbi cracking down it seems like it just became a nightmare.

My Grandfather was consiglieri of the Bonanno family, he spent alot of years on prison. At the end of his life he had had open heart surgery several times, he was on his way out when Giuliani brought all these indictments. He died before they could put him away, Im sure the stress of it killed him. If he would have lived he would have spent whatever time he had left in prison. It always seemed like a bad life to me, and he never seemed happy that I could remember....never smiled.

My respect to your grandpa. I'm sure the guy had balls of concrete. That being said a lotta guys of that generation, affiliated or not, they didn't smile. I mean this was the generation that experienced the Depression and Hitler and shit....They lived under the mushroom cloud too more than most people. They had a lot of reasons besides Rudy not to smile, you know what I mean?