Good post. I forgot about that picture in the diner. I disagree with Tony B becoming a capo. Remember Tony made Chris a capo and heir apparent which rubbed guys in his family the wrong why. Tony B would have been made and put under Christopher.
It was pretty much setting up an ending for Tony. I still remember that golf game between the Carmines and John Sack. Everything about that was spelling the end of Tony reign with the seeds being planted. In season 5 we see a lot of big names come into the cast, Steve Buscemi, Frank Vincent, Frankie Valli, Robert Loggia, Joe Santos among a few others. Season 5 looked like it was going to be the finale with a big bang. When we look at the seasons, 1, 2, and the first episodes in 3 are different than the rest of the series. It was as if Chase was going to end with season 5 , but ended up with season 5, followed by season 6 as a two parter.
I never thought Tony temporary died during that dream scene, but had a minor heart attack, watch that scene again and you can see a couple of tale signs.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green