Just realized I posted these in the wrong thread:

A QUIET PLACE PART II

John Krasinski is at it again, wonderfully weaving suspense and themes of family, loss, and communication throughout his follow-up to the hugely successful original. The opening plays as a brief prequel, beginning on day 1 and the monster's arrival on earth. From there, we're immediately thrown back to the end of Part I and pick the Abbott's up from there. Having their home destroyed with the events in the first film, the Abbott family is now on the move, seeking shelter and resources. They come upon Cillian Murphy's Emmett and his hideout in a local steel mill (Cillian having being introduced to us during said prequel). The film then splits off into 2, and then at times, 3 separate storylines before coming together at the end. Again, Krasinski leaves the film on such a high note that the audience is wanting more and this is easily left open for a third installment that I'm sure will come to fruition once the numbers from this weekend roll in. If you enjoyed the events of the original, you're going to enjoy this sequel just as much as this is truly a sequel, and not just a bridge to a third, trilogy ending film. For my money, I still prefer the original slightly more, but this is definitely a film enjoyed in theaters. 7.5/10

CRUELLA

Disney is once again showing their baddies some love, moving on from Maleficent and this time turning their attention to Cruella de Vil. When the trailer was originally dropped, fans complained about how this was too similar to JOKER, which it was not. And even if it was, would that really be such a bad thing? Considering JOKER made over $1 billion and won multiple Oscars. However, had this not been a Disney property and constrained by the House of Mouse, this could have been a better and darker film. As such, it's still a fun ride but just missed it's potential in my opinion. Emma Stone is deliciously devilish as Estella/Cruella, an orphan who grows up on the hard streets of London with her friends and pseudo-family Jasper (Joel Fry) and Horace (Paul Walter Hauser) working as grifters to get by. By the time she's an adult, she sets her sights on becoming a fashion designer, wanting to work at the most "in" store in town, hoping it'll be a springboard for her to break into the business. Unfortunately for her, she's hired as a cleaner and rebuffed by her boss whenever she attempts to pitch him ideas. Terrible and unsatisfied at her position, she's soon hired by the Baroness (Emma Thompson) immediately after being fired from her cleaning position. The Baroness is THE last word in fashion during this time period of London in the 1970's. Before long, Estella embraces her Cruella side before going toe-to-toe with the Baroness for both personal and professional reasons. Stone was most enjoyable when she was given the freedom to dial up the Cruella character, but sadly, this is short lived. Jasper and Horace both shine in their own way as her sidekicks and you can feel the chemistry between the three. However, the most enjoyable interactions are between Estella/Cruella and the Baroness herself. Throughout the duration of the film, Thompson at times seems to be the heart and soul of this story. She is likewise absolutely wonderful and her many scenes with Stone never become stale or dull. I'd be up for more of Cruella's antics if Disney were to roll the dice on her sequel. 6.5/10