Salvatore Montagna grew up in that life. He was a gopher and messenger for his father and uncles, and knew other important mafiosi in CDG and surrounding areas, the Domingos, Buccellatos. His father Antonio sent the family to America in the mid 1980s for safety after he had a talk with Calogreo Minero about Riina and his followers. When they moved to the Bronx, the mafia members the family had the most contact with were Manny Guaragna and Anthony Mascone. Salvatore did part time construction in high school, which he actually graduated from. Around 1988 Gerlando Sciascia had a construction company in the Bronx, and Montagna sought employment there. Not long after that he was on record with Sciascia and at the same time was an iron worker hence his nickname, and his fortunes began to start. He was back and forth between the Bronx and North East Brooklyn. He opened Matrix Steel Company in Bushwick. He was made at the age of 24 or 25, so he was made in either 1995 or 1996. When Sciascia was killed, Montagna was put with Patrick DeFilippo crew to keep an eye on him. Basciano had no problems with him, but Montagna may have suspected Johnny Joe was involved with Gerlandos killing. DeFilippo goes to jail and has legal problems and Montagna is acting Capo of that crew by 2003. Basciano is convicted in May of 2006, and sends word that Montagna is Acting Boss of the family.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green