Originally Posted by The Last Woltz
I disagree that the Immobiliare is some sort of pointless plot device.

Gilday himself lays out the reasons why Michael would want it: This deal with Immobiliare can make you one of the richest men in the world. Your whole past history, and the history of your family, will be washed away.

This is another plot weakness in III. The Vatican already had washed away Michael's sins by making him a Papal Knight, thanks to his charities. Why voting to give him control of a real estate company provide further cleansing? Why would he need it? And, it's one thing to bestow religious honors on a questionable character like Michael in the service of "charity"--all major religions do, under the rubric that the money is going toward charitable ends (no matter how it was made). But, the Vatican would be taking a very big public relations risk by putting their share of a huge, money-making company into the hands of a supposedly reformed Mafia Don so that he could get richer. Michael would be taking a big risk, too: It'd look like his Papal Knighthood was a bribe for bailing out the Vatican Bank and getting Immobiliare.

LW makes a good point about continuity. In this instance, I see a continuity from Michael telling Kay that his father is no different than other powerful men with responsibility for others; to Nevada, where, as Geary puts it, "...the way you pose yourself and your whole f....ng family" as legitimate with his big donation to the university and his lying under oath; to his hooking up with a corrupt senior cleric of the Church in another corrupt scheme to make him look "legitimate."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.