Originally Posted by GerryLang
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Originally Posted by GerryLang
Joe Mastornado was Frank Rizzo's son-in-law, the former mayor Philadelphia. They found over a million dollars buried in his front lawn and another million in the house

LOL, yep! Very interesting story no?

For me, both these guys led very interesting lives. And on a personal note both were highly successful but completely "NON-violent"

That caught my eye as well

I believe the vast majority of bookmakers are nonviolent. If you stick to just taking action and know what you're doing it can be peaceful. I had an uncle who was strictly a bookmaker for decades and he made a fortune and never had to use violence. My father was a bookmaker and a loanshark, and lending out money was much more stressful. There were a few times when my dad had to use violence, but was lucky enough to beat a case where he was looking at substantial time. He always preached to us, his son's, to never get involved in it.

I completely agree with you (and your father).

If you have even a little business savvy and stick to strictly bookmaking in your lifetime, you can make one helluva living without getting involved in all the other heavier shit. You can largely avoid arrests, jail, imprisonment, and the disruption to both your personal family's lives and that of your business and yourself.

Even shylocking (done correctly) can provide a nice quiet lifestyle for you providing that you refrain from violence and strong-arm stuff. Thats what gets guys in trouble. They wanna play 'tough guy' and abuse somebody. But even when you wanna be a nice guy the shy business can get a bit hairy sometimes...But you can survive a usury pinch if there was no violence attached to it.

But all in all if a guy just stuck to the gambling business and ran it as a 'business' he could do very well.