Originally Posted by The Last Woltz
Originally Posted by Lana
What would Vito have done? If...

Vito was invulnerable having beefed up his security after “his decision not to accept Sol's deal” and Sollozzo couldn't get to Vito

Michael had gone back to college

Fredo was well Fredo....

Connie in her abusive marriage with Carlo and Vito's inaction to Connie's plight

Sonny, Don in training, gets killed same scenario
I doubt Vito would have "uprooted" Michael.

First of all, in this scenario, Vito hasn't been shot, so he presumably would have more energy to continue to function as Don, and his enemies would have been less likely to view him as "slippin'."

Like Michael, Vito's long-term plan for the Family was legitimacy ("Senator Corleone...Governor Corleone"). He would not have abandoned his life's work by bringing Michael back for anything but the most dire of situations. I don't think that Sonny's assassination would have qualified, especially if Vito were still healthy.

Also, don't forget that Michael was pretty determined to go his own way until the shooting/hospital incident. Without those, I don't see him allowing himself to be uprooted by Vito. The more Vito would have tried to pull Michael in, the more Michael would have resisted. Ultimately, Vito couldn't have forced Michael to become his apprentice.

While it may be true, as Vito says in the novel, that "every man has but one destiny," and Michael's may well have been to become Don, I don't see it happening at that point under that scenario
Can't trump! that Woltz

My only debating points -
Wouldn't “Sonny's assassination” qualify as “most dire of situations” ie: Murder of the Top Mafia Boss' son and Vito is now left without a heir

Sure thing Woltz whilst “Michael was pretty determined to go his own way” the assassination of a member of his family his own brother would have fired Michael up?

Michael was “pretty determined” and followed through the murder of the New York Police Captain and Sollozzo because of the attempt on Vito's life [perhaps also McCluskey breaking his jaw!] - killing Pop is the key for Sollozzo - in spite of Tom's

Nobody has ever gunned down a New York police captain -- never. It would be disastrous

All the Five Families would come after you, Sonny.

The Corleone Family would be outcasts! Even the old man's political protection would run for cover!

Whilst Vito could “continue to function as Don, and his enemies would have been less likely to view him as "slippin'."

1. What happens when Vito could no longer to do so?
2. What are Vito's options?

Would Vito hand over “his life's work” to Clemenza and Tessio?

Vito needs an “apprentice” Don in training to “take over the Corleone crime empire”
So Michael spending however many years at College and then coming back to learn the family business....
Well – there wasn't enough time, Michael Wasn't enough time...

Besides Vito is not Roth! Vito never thought “he's gonna live forever”!