Originally Posted by hoodlum
Leaving Las Vegas//////....I actually dont like Nic Cage as an actor...but I will give him a nod 4 this....but what keeps my eyes glued is the chops of Elizabeth Shue...who pours her soul out 2 save this drowning heart..not 2 mention she looks great 4 her age in this film...Ive wanted her since I 1rst saw her....

I'm a Nic Cage fan and this is one of (along with FACE/OFF) his finest performances. Huge Elisabeth Shue fan as well since I saw her in the original KARATE KID and she does a wonderful job here too. It was a pity she didn't get an Oscar for her work.

Today I watched THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. Not a biblical story but still an epic sandal-and-sword affair. I had NO idea that Christopher Plummer played Commodus as it doesn't even look like him. I also didn't realize the first half of this film is basically an earlier version of Ridley Scott's 2000 GLADIATOR. The second half drags in some parts and didn't hold my interest as keenly as before. However, tons of extras, lavish costumes, wonderful set pieces. One of the reasons I enjoy these types of films is the eye candy. I plan on watching Cecil B. DeMille's 1934 CLEOPATRA tomorrow, followed by the Elizabeth Taylor version on Saturday!