I have a Christian friend who also saw him at church - this friend doesn't care about LCN or anything but knows I do and told me all about it. Before he finished telling me about it I asked "was it Michael Franzese?" he shouts "Yes! That's the guy!" And raves about what a great guy this is.

You can tell by watching any appearance of Michael's that this is a brilliant guy. I have no doubt at all that he knows how to read - and work - a room.

I agree with all other posters; I believe he's a rat with the rest of them; I agree his born again life is a hustle.

But in a way - this is exactly the type of talent that the Mafia used to have and doesn't have any more, by in large. He may be a stoolie but he read the situation well...he got off a sinking ship (particularly being the Colombos) and went legit with plenty of money and fame and no risk to himself. He might be a rat but he is not stupid.

You gotta wonder, if Michael had been a member of the Genovese family would he have jumped ship so easily? It's easy to understand why he'd want out of the Colombo family as it stood on the brink of a third war. Maybe in a more talented group things would have unfolded differently.

Franzese is perfect symbolism of where the talent and moneymaking ability of the Mafia has gone. Why fight over a diminishing pie with increased surveillance risk when you can make a mint preaching Jesus? The smarts and ability to earn are obviously still there. He's just realized like Allie Boy's sentencing judge said: "You're a chump if you stay with the Colombo Family."