THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923)

Watched for the first time Cecile B. DeMille's original, 1923 version of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. It actually took me for quite a surprise as the film opens up with the story of Moses and the Exodus of the Jews from Egypt. This may take not even a quarter of the film to portray and the rest of the time, it actually illustrates the Commandments at work during the present day this film was released. There's even a title before the second story begins about how the world doesn't feel the Commandments were applicable to life 100 years ago (remember this film was released on the heels of the end of the First World War). So DeMille uses this picture as a vehicle to say the Commandments are never outdated and they're not merely suggestions but rather, the law of God. A good film (not a huge silent film fan honestly) but compared to the 1956 version, this pales in compassion. I do appreciate what he's done here, trying to teach the audience rather than rehash a story many of us have heard plenty of times. I was also glad he was able to make a true version of the story in 1956, with the advancements in technology over the previous 33 years since this release. Both versions are good and worth a watch. 6/10