There was a goodfella when I was a little kid. My father took me to see him at his apartment in NYC's Little Italy. I don't remember the exact street. Maybe Mulberry, or Elizabeth. I remember we parked off the corner, he lived a few doors down from the corner. Off Broome Street I think it was.

It was one of those old time tenement buildings. It was a real shit-box from the outside. A real nothing building.

But when we walked inside, it was a Roman palace. I couldn't even believe how beautiful it was. He had taken 2 floors of the building and made like a duplex out of it, if you will.

He had renovated the entire 2 floors. Front to back. up and down. Expensive furniture, all modern appliances. etc.

You would think he lived like a pauper. But in reality, he lived quiet well. And he remained in the neighborhood because that was his area.

He was a real old-timer, an old man already, with the Genovese crew. Only a soldier (I think). But a very, very, respected guy. revered in fact. I'm sure he was a millionaire many times over. Yet he didn't even own a car.

Thats how a lot of the original guys were. They never flashed