Originally Posted by Turnbull
As for Geary:
I believe he wasn't as dumb as he seemed. I think that, as a member of the Senate subcommittee, he had to know that they were holding Pentangeli as a surprise witness against Michael. His question to Cicci--did he get direct orders from Michael Corleone or was there always a buffer in between--was designed to get Cicci to reply: "I never talked to him," which would make Michael think he could get away with lying under oath rather than pleading the Fifth Amendment. I believe that Geary did it to avenge himself against Michael setting him up with the hooker murder in Fredo's brothel. All that BS he said at the hearing about his fine, salt-of-the-earth Italian-American constituents was designed to make him look like he was on Michael's side.
Geary would have been smug in Havana thinking “Have I got a deal! “to avenge himself against Michael” waiting back home

My take on Geary's ambiguous! speech
Mr. Chairman I would like to verify the witness's [Willie Cicci's?] statement

For years now a growing number of my constituents have been of Italian decent and I have come to know them well. They have honored me with their support and with their friendship [not Michael] Indeed I can proudly say some of my very best friends [not Michael] are Italian-Americans.

However Mr. Chairman, at this time very unfortunately I have to leave [genius] these proceedings in order to preside over a very important committee of my own committee but before I leave I do want to say this:

These hearings on the Mafia [in effect Michael] are in no way whatsoever a slur upon the great [not Michael] Italian people because I can state from my own knowledge and experience that Italian-Americans are among the most loyal, most law-abiding [not Michael] patriotic [could be Michael the war hero] hard working American citizens in this land.

And it would be a shame Mr. Chairman if we allowed a few rotten apples [in effect Michael] to bring a bad name to the whole barrel because from the time of the great Christopher Columbus up through the time of Enrico Fermi right up to the present day Italian Americans have been pioneers in building and defending [could be Michael the war hero] our great nation

They [not Michael] are the salt-of-the-earth and one of the backbones of this country
I believe Geary's speech, the ever so slippery! customer he was, was very cleverly designed, extolling the virtues of the great Italian Americans but having a go at [rotten apple] Michael without seeming to...

Geary was not taking any chances though Geary expected Michael to go to prison for perjury, Geary knew it would be just a matter of time before Michael's long-reaching tentacles of death comes calling wherever he is, how well he is protected

The esteemed colleague Geary was always on Geary's side