Originally Posted by eastsideofvan
I doubt there's any sort of one size fits all here.

I don't know what percentage of fathers over all would be considered "good fathers" but if its as high as half I'd be amazed. And that's whether you're legit or not. I would agree that if you are involved in a criminal lifestyle the odds are you're probably a worse father than average. But exceptions abound and I wouldn't rule them out.

My mother worked in a nursing home for a time. Some of the elderly residents had kids she never saw, more had kids who would stop by on holidays or whatever. Some came regularly.

The one relative that terrified her whenever he came in, which was every single morning, was a Hells Angel, sometimes wearing his vest. He looked the part. He would come in, sit with his elderly mother for breakfast, wheel her out the park when the weather was nice, and return her to her room and then carry on with his day. She had everything she could ever want and saw him every single day.

I would suspect that in the aggregate your line of thinking is correct - but I avoid making broad assumptions around people.

---
Excellent post, and an excellent alternate viewpoint. Smartly written I might add. And so true. Whether a father is a legit or ill-legit guy, there are soooo many shitty fathers who are technically legitimate guys, but who suck as a dad. As in the alternative, there are lots of mob guys who are devoted fathers.... so go figure