Going for a traditional Ragu Bolognese tonight. We've been watching Stanley Tucci's series Searching for Italy on CNN and last night's episode ("Bologna") lit a fire under me. Had some ground veal in the freezer but I'll make do with bacon instead of pancetta. The version prepared on TV was basically an adaptation of the original Artusi recipe. Pretty much simple and basic. Can't get tagliatelle at any of my local stores within walking distance so I'll go with fettucine. (And what brand? Why, Luigi Vitelli, of course! wink )

Hoodlum - I'm gonna get my full recipe for you. The one I have in my computer files is taken straight from the Guinness website, but it is not the adaptation we make. So, I'm gonna dig out the paper printout version with my additional handwritten notes (and food stains).

Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, since it's Lent and Signora V. is Catholic, I've been making seafood dishes on Friday. Last Friday it was salmon (she likes hers well-done) with long grain & wild rice (courtesy of soon-to-be-renamed Uncle Ben's) and fresh string beans. Seasoned it before cooking with a bit of salt and fresh pepper then squeezed some lemon juice over everything on the plate. Went over quite well.

Signor V.

Attached Files Salmon with Wild Rice & String Beans.jpg

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."