Originally Posted by NYMafia
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke
I can get a lot of views here.

At one hand, it's true no other criminal organization in North America even today has the reach the Mafia has. The FBI still designates them as the number one noteworthy type of organized crime.
Historically speaking no other criminal organization will ever achieve what LCN achieved - it was a "right time right place" situation. All of those other newer "crime threats" that were supposed to supplant LCN never actually got to their level. Not the "Russians", not the Albanians and, no, not the cartels. I mean, not even close.

On the other hand, when people are questioning whether LCN is still feared, they do have a point. Mess with a street/prison/biker gang member of a certain stature - whether they're Black, Hispanic, White Supremacist, Asian... - someone's gonna come knocking on your door to rape your wife and smash your kid's skull with a bat before they get medieval on your ass. That's the reputation these gangs have. The Mafia on the other hand...people are asking all that time whether they're still around. Of course they're still around - and they still have more money and resources than your average joe realizes - but still they're regarded as a relic of a bygone age. Their name isn't on the streets any longer.
Sally Daz got killed without any repercussions. Frank Cali got killed...no repercussions. Informants and rats are living the life and having a ball out in the open without fear of getting whacked...
Sure you can argue that LCN doesn't need the heat, but situations like these don't do much to change the fact that the street reputation of the Mafia is basically non-existent nowadays.

Without a doubt TKJ, you are correct in many things you say. But remember that a "dictate" came down years ago after repeated assaults by LE against LCN there was to be "no more killings" Period. It was a self-survival technique.

Now, the witness program and the DNA capabilities today have forced members and the bosses to retreat. They ARE in a retreat mode. And have been for over 20 years already.

But make NO mistake. There is NO black, hispanic, or biker gang member who would EVER knowingly challenge a bonafide Mafia member. And in my own life I've personally witnessed this more times than I care to discuss here.

Forget about challenging them, these other groups "revere" them. In prison, or on the streets, they fawn in respect before Cosa Nostra members.

The few times one of these fellas went up against the mafia, the VERY FEW times, they typically came away losers. The other members of these gangs would tell them, "what are you a nut???" "thats the mafia man!"

There are still thousands or inducted members nationwide. Not to mentioned many tens of thousands of associates..... and for every soldier who is not a hitter, there is one that is.

You think these upstarts wanna chance that?? No way! No how! We can debate this all day long. And you are free to believe whatever you like.... but I believe (with all my fiber) that what I'm telling you is the truth of the matter. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow!

Made men have been challenged. Gotti got his ass kicked in jail.
And I live in Montreal and Toronto. And trust me, mafia member have been challenged by haitian gang members in Montreal. And we are talking about made men and not associate.
We get it, the mafia are the most connected organized crime group. But they arr not feared like you think. Sure, a criminal will think twice before attacking a made men, but sometime it happens.
In the eastern part of montreal, gang members were attacking mafia’s hot spot, and not by the order of another mafia member. But by themself, and everybody from the neighborhood knows that