Until now it had only been talked about in the newspapers, now the case of Teresa Merante, a Calabrian singer-songwriter, ends up in the hands of the judiciary. To announce exposures to the judiciary are trade unions and politicians . The woman is under accusation for the content of some texts that, according to her detractors, would praise the leaders of the Calabrian and Sicilian mafia . She defends herself and replies by stating that those songs are part of the cultural repertoire. Yesterday evening she released a video on Facebook in which
she talks about a "huge media fuss".

The piece «U fugitives» , she says, was not written by me, but has already been performed in the past by other folk singers. The same reconstruction also for a song on New Year's Eve, "aimed at all Calabrians who live outside", while the text of the song on Totò Riina "was written by me - she says - taking a cue from TV fiction".

Merante denies being the singer of the underworld, arguing that her family “has never had anything to do with organized crime. I do not accept being labeled as the singer of the underworld in Calabria. My interpretations in music have been songs of love, of aggregation, of joy on the beauties of Calabria and also on the underworld song that has been part of the Calabrian popular traction since the seventies.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"