The interesting and kind of ironic thing is this: These "newer" Bonannos is they come from the lineage of Di Gregorio/Sciacca/Rastelli, which I've always said was the downfall of this Family, choosing to cowtoe to the Gambinos and Luchesse put them in a subservient position until today even (you can add the Donnie Brasco situation as well for context but thats not really where I am going with this observation). Bonanno was definitely fighting against the Commission having a say-so in internal Family business and for good reason. If the Family recognizes a someone as the Boss, thats it! In my opinion. It was said in the movie and it rings true "never pick side against the Family".

As for their response, it was a justified reaction with a bad response. I would have just made it hard for them to operate it that area of the city. Thats how you flex, assuming Mancuso had that power.

I've always said this unlike the Genovese and Gambinos Bosses who sit atop a mighty membership, the Bonannos are a "Top-down" Family. Meaning the power comes from whose the Boss, Maranzano to Bonanno then downhill, with a resurgence und Massino.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano