My understanding is that Aurello knew a new order had begun and nothing good will come out of it for him. I think he didn't feel like taking part in the new regime so he chose to retire. He didn't condone the hit but he was smart enough to stay quiet.

One thing that was new from samm'ys podcast compared to the book was that Aurello seemed to have been scared at first. He didn't know what happened and thought he could be hit too. Gravano said he assured him that nothing was gonna happen to him and that's how Aurello knew Gravano was in on the hit. I thought that was a very interesting part of the podcast.

Regarding Toddo's power, not much is known about his background and relationships. He has a pretty solid crew before retiring : Sammy Gravano, Boozy De Cicco, John Rizzo, Louis Milito, his son Charlie, Joey Russo,...

One thing that suggested he was powerful within the family was his ability to have guys made.

When Gravano was made, he was rather young and had only recently joined the Gambinos from the Colombos.A the time, the books had been opened for a short time and there were plenty of more experienced guys that were waiting to be made but somehow Gravano got in early and i think it's mainly because Aurello proposed him.

Also, He didn't want to propose his son and had to be persuaded to do it after the list was already being shared with other families. At the time, they were making guys every 2 or 3 months so they could have told him the list was already going around and that his son would be proposed in the next batch. Yet somehow, they agreed to add his son at the last minute and make him right away.

Same thing for Louie Milito who was made pretty early and against the wishes of the soldier he was on record with (John Rizzo). Aurello proposed him and he was made.

To me, these examples shows that Aurello was very respected. It's also likely that he benefited from the fact that he was considered a Gambino/Castellano loyalist so the administration was eager to beef up his crew as opposed to capos like Fatico, Fat Andy Ruggiano or Joe Armone who had more trouble making guys.