I think by the very nature of these type forums, those who join and interact here are interested in the subject matter at hand for one reason or another.

There are many reasons I think for this: they can sometimes be fans of the underworld, or haters for that matter. Some may know a few of the people mentioned on here so it peaks their interest. I think they could also sometimes be connected to law enforcement, or they could be street people themselves (or relatives of law enforcement or wiseguys).

Some make a study of the subject. Students of criminology, college students researching, or neighborhood people searching for people they used to know. I do think some may be "partial" to wiseguys. I do think some may be blatantly opposed to wiseguys.

Most commonly, I think most of those visiting this forum (and forums like it) are just really intrigued by the subject matter. The way those who watch "true crime" dramas, read books, and crime movies are. This stuff sells.

But for one reason or another they could be called "crime buffs." The same way many people follow sports. A guy follows baseball stats, or football stats, etc. I see a similarity.